We are now recruiting for November 2012 - please download the course flyer for further information. Application deadline Thursday 25 October.
MaST (Mathematics Specialist Teacher) is an innovative and highly successful programme which will help you to become a
more effective teacher of mathematics and will also enable you to support other teachers in your school to develop their
teaching of mathematics.
I can definitely say that the children are enjoying maths more - I really
can't praise the programme enough. It should be available to as many teachers as possible.
This course is available to Primary school teachers, Years 7 and 8 teachers and Deputy Heads working at Special schools, Middle Schools (attached to Primary) and Pupil Referral Units.
Click on a year to see what you will be doing.
- Attend a half day session run by a mathematics consultant exploring practical ways of teaching mathematics effectively
- Try out activities in school study articles about teaching mathematics and complete an ongoing learning log
- Attend a university session to explore effective teaching of mathematics and to help you relate to practical experience
to research evidence about effective teaching of maths
In addition you will have:
- Support in school to help you and the school to develop its mathematics policies and to make mathematics teaching both
enjoyable and effective
- To complete an assignment examining practical aspects of your teaching
In the second year of the programme (the) consultants and university tutors will run 45 hours of sessions/support outside
of school time (that will help) to enable you to:
- Develop your own mathematical knowledge
- Understand how children learn mathematics
- Support other teachers to develop their skills
- Submit an assignment examining a practical aspect of supporting other adults in your school
Successful completion of each year of the programme will contribute 30 CATS points towards a Masters degree and you would be
awarded a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma on completion of the 2 year programme. You would also receive official confirmation
indicating that you are now a Certified Mathematics Specialist Teacher.
For help to read, think or write more critically, please download: Critical Reading, Thinking and Writing
(pdf document, 75k)
Please note that the Government is funding 50% of the course fee for the first year of the programme (for cohort starting in September 2012) as the actual full cost of year 1 is £2500.
Cost to you:
- Year 1: £1250
- Year 2: £1250
*Independent schools should anticipate a fee of £2,500 for year one and £1,250 for year two, to be paid by either the school or the individual.
How to Apply
The MMU application form
is available to download.
After completing the application form, please e-mail to: email@example.com or post to:
799 Wilmslow Road
The closing date for all applications is Thursday 25 October 2012
Further PDP Opportunities
For further PDP Opportunities, please download our Postgraduate Award in Coaching and Mentoring Handbook
or go to Continued Professional Development
Contact Angela Downey
or Jamie Cruise
Faculty of Education, Centre for Innovation and Enterprise if you would like more information or to discuss the programme further.